As a New Year approaches, thoughts may be around all the things you want to achieve and accomplish in the coming twelve months. From working with clients who are suffering from low or negative energy, I know that in order to really achieve and be happy, you need to protect and maintain your energy. Of course, this can be done with a wonderful Reiki or EFT treatment, but there are so many ways you can change your energy yourself. Here are forty quick and easy ways to make you feel happier, more positive and of course, more energetic. Try one or all of them and let me know if you have your own ideas or techniques too!
1. Smile – Even if you feel there is nothing at all to smile about, raise a smile. It tricks our body and before you know it, you start to feel a little better.
2. Breathe – So many people don’t breathe correctly, especially during times of stress, so look at your breathing and slowly draw in deliberate breaths. Take a look at this blog for more details.
3. Physiology – How we hold our body will chemically affect our mood, slump and hold your head down and you will begin to feel sad and depressed, stand up straight, lift your head and you will feel more confident, capable and positive.
4. Music – Put on some uplifting music, do you listen to music that calms and inspires you or do you listen to music that increases your anxiety and anger? Do a search on You Tube and pop on one of the soothing compilations that are on there or pop on a song that makes you feel like you can conquer the world! Who knows, it may even be The Eye of The Tiger!!
5. Jump – Any exercise is positive but if you can jump up and down ten times, do it!
7. Gratitude – Begin and end every day reminding yourself of something you are grateful for. I like to list three and try to make them different every time.
8. Animal Babies – puppies, kittens, sloths, giraffes or any cute baby animal! Studies have shown that looking at pictures of a cute baby animal for two minutes significantly improves our mood.
9. Stretch – If you study yoga, do some sun salutations but you do not need to be able to bend your body like a pretzel to be able to benefit it. Stand up tall and stretch your legs, back, arms, fingers. The flow of energy will get a major boost and you will feel a lot more awake.
10. Laugh – Even if you don’t feel like it, even in the darkest of times, if you have the ability to find some humour you be able to cope with things better.
11. Sleep – Never underestimate the power of a good nights sleep, sometimes an early night makes everything look much better in the morning.
12. Sunshine – If weather permits it, get a bit of sunshine on your face the Vitamin D will naturally boost your mood.
13. Clutter – Clutter around your home, car or desk can significantly affect your mood and trap energy. Have a good clear up and notice how it makes you feel. The Art of Feng Shui suggests moving 27 objects to notice a significant energy change.
14. Perspective – It may be easier said than done, but a bit of perspective often makes you realise that your problems are not the end of the world.
15. Pets – As well as looking at baby animals, medical studies have found that simply stroking a pet for just fifteen minutes produces enough serotonin to lower your stress and improve your mood.
16. Get Creative – Many of us gain little opportunity to express our creative sides and this can leave us feeling frustrated and unsatisfied. Take time to do something creative – sing, paint, write or even get yourself an adult colouring in book!
17. Hug – We are tactile, physical beings and need to have that human contact however many of us go through our daily lives with very little physical contact. It is believed that we need 4 hugs a day to survive, 8 to maintain and 12 to grow and thrive.
18. Sing – You may not be blessed with a voice like Mariah but even if it is in the car or shower where nobody else hears you, sing and you will release pent up energy as well as boost serotonin levels.
19. Meditate – I could wax lyrical all day about the benefits of meditation but just a few minutes a day will lower blood pressure, increase immunity and lower stress levels.
20. Make Your Bed – Seriously! Lots of studies have been done and findings have revealed that often, the state of our bed reflects that state of our minds.
21. Talk – A problem shared and all that! It is true, as soon as you open up to a confidant about the things that are troubling your mind, you tend to often seen that the problem is nowhere near as scary as you imagined and you also tend to get suggestions of resolution you could not even see existed.
22. Slay the Vampire – Do you find that your energy is zapped by certain people or places? You may be victim of a psychic vampire and there are lots of ways in which you can deal with them.
23. Be in Nature – Get outside in the country or along the coast, just a five minute walk in nature will not only help your physical health but will also boost your mental health too.
24. Clean – Although you may not be keen on housework, doing some housework will not only focus your mind and give you a feeling of satisfaction but it will also calm your mood and boost your energy.
25. Splash – Get in water, whether it is a bath, shower, swimming pool or the sea get into water and imagine the water washing your worries or bad mood away.
26. ARK – Perform an Act of Random Kindness, we all have a need to feel like we contribute to others and this is a great way to boost your own energy by helping someone else.
27. Water – Drink a glass of iced water, it serves as a wake up to your body and resets stagnant energy.
28. Be Bright – When depressed, we all have a tendency to wear dark colours which do nothing to help boost our mood. Wear a bright colour, even if only bright socks or a scarf and your mood will lift.
29. Dance – Again, this does not have to be a public act (unless you want it to be!) but having a jig around your kitchen whilst waiting for the kettle to boil will get the blood pumping and make you feel more playful.
30. Eat for Your Chakras – Our chakras are our energy centre and if one is sluggish or blocked it will have an effect on our mood, emotions and physicality. Find out which chakra is under performing for you and ensure you eat food in that colour. For more information, read our chakra blog.
31. Write – Whether it is a blog, diary, email or letter write something with great sincerity.
32. The Little Things – For an hour decided to be attentive to all the amazing little things around you, a flower, bee, detail on a dress whatever it is focus your attention on seeing the finer detail and feel a sense of appreciation for it.
33. Box it – Is there something that is really niggling you or making you anxious? Maybe you’re worried about money or a specific person? Decide to put that worry into a physical or imagined box. In your minds eye, carefully put everything associated with that worry inside the box knowing that if you really need to, you can return to it. Then close the box, tie it with a gorgeous red ribbon and leave it out of sight and out of mind.
34. Change the vibe – Are you really worried about something or someone? As we sit and worry about something, we are using our imaginations to conjur images of the worst case scenario (which hardly ever happens!), however on doing this we are spending all our energy on creating negative images in our minds which can then be created. Instead, use change the vibrations you are creating by sending positive thoughts to the problem. For example, if you are worried about a sick relative, instead of worrying about them getting worse or the outcome of an operation, use your energy to send them healing thoughts and picturing them happy and well.
35. Talking to Yourself – What are you actually saying to yourself? Are you mentally beating yourself up? Saying negative statements internally can seriously decrease our self confidence and subsequent mood so be mindful of the language you are using when engaging in this internal dialogue and re-frame it to more positive statements.
36. Escape – You may not be able to get on a plane and literally escape for a few weeks but a good movie is a great way of escaping. One of my personal favourites is Eat, Pray, Love.
37. Earlobes – Rubbing and massaging our earlobes serves to calm the body and mind so give them a rub when you start to feel your stress levels rise.
38. Aroma – Use essential oils to provide a relaxing smell which helps you to unwind or to recharge your energy. Lavender and Orange are incredibly calming whilst Lemon and Jasmine will boost your mood.
39. Crystals – Use crystals to help boost your mood, sunstone is a gorgeous stone which almost serves as an anti depressant when you carry it.
40. Mental Focus – Do a mental task which focuses your mind such as a crossword or Sudoku this will quieten your mental chatter and force you to focus on the task in hand.
Give them a go and let me know how you get on, which ones are your favourites and if you have other suggestions?